Saturday, March 18, 2017

Wet 'N Wild Photo Focus Foundation Review


As I'm sure everyone knows, Wet 'N Wild released the new Photo Focus Foundation, and I just had to give it a try. I feel like I am extremely late to the party with this one, but it took me forever to get my hands on it, due to it either being sold out or just not available. I did, however, end up snagging it at my local Meijer, and let me tell you, I think I have a new favorite foundation!



First, let's talk about how hard this is to find. As I said above, it seems to either be totally sold out in a lot of places, or it just isn't being sold at all in certain stores. Not a single drug store near me was carrying it, and the few Walmart's that did carry it only had 5 shades available that were completely sold out. I lucked out when I found it at Meijer. The shelves were being freshly stocked at 9 am on a Monday morning, and they surprisingly had 10 of the 20 shades. My advice: Try to get it online. From what I can tell Wet 'N Wild's swatches on their website are pretty accurate.
It comes in a glass jar that has quite a bit of weight to it. I can see this possibly being a problem with travelling, simply due to my fear of the bottle shattering in my makeup bag, but so far I haven't had any problems with it. The thing I wish it did have is a pump. Instead it comes with this spatula that is attached to the lid. 
According to the Wet 'N Wild website, this foundation claims to be a skin perfecting foundation that has been made with a matte, light diffusing complex to give the appearance of a filter over the skin. Essentially, this foundation was made and formulated to look amazing in photos.
(Wet 'N Wild swatches from their website)

It comes in 20 different shades! I think this is awesome, but from what I've seen, not everyone is carrying all 20 shades. The other thing I have noticed is that the first 5 or six shades are aimed at paler skin, all similar in shade, but with very different undertones. The next 9 or 10 shades are the same way, but aimed towards more medium skin tones. Then you have the deeper tones. They only have 5 catering to darker skin, and they seem to just increase in depth, versus changing in both depth and undertone. This really is my only major criticism with this foundation, especially since so many drugstore brands don't go this deep at all.
I ended up going with Soft Ivory, which is a light shade with a warm undertone. This is probably the first foundation I have found that matches my skin as closely as it does when applied to my face. The formula itself is really nice. It is a very lightweight liquid foundation, that feels super velvety, and sets to a matte finish.

 I would say it has medium, buildable coverage. I can go in with three layers before it starts to look cakey. The nice thing is that even though it isn't full coverage, I still don't feel like I need to load up on the concealer due to the light reflecting properties of this foundation.



Taking pictures with this foundation was incredibly difficult, simply because it does give you an almost airbrushed look to the skin (I won't complain about that!). I have found that the best way to apply it is with a damp, beauty blender like sponge. This keeps it from becoming to heavy on the skin. If you give it about 10 minutes after applying, it will set down to an almost matte finish. It definitely still gives the skin a healthy look at the same time, though. The rest of my makeup sits really nicely on top as well.

I have learned that I need to use a primer with the Photo Focus Foundation, otherwise it doesn't last quite as long on me (I have acne prone, combination skin that tends to get oily through my t-zone). With primer and powder, I can wear it for 8-12 hours if needed. Without it, I can usually get away with 5 hours before I see my redness coming through again.
As you can see above, my nose and forehead are quite red, and my foundation just seems to be breaking down. This was after about 6 hours without primer. The nice thing is that as this breaks down, it doesn't seem to collect or separate anywhere. It kind of just fades away nicely.

This photo was taken after about 8 hours of wear with a primer, and set with a powder. The only spots it has really broken down and separated are around my nose, specifically where my glasses sit.

 Have I mentioned yet that it is super affordable? I purchased it for only $4.68, and the Wet 'N Wild website has it listed for only $5.99! All in all, I have to say I really like this foundation. I have been using it every time I have worn makeup in the last two months, and it has quickly became a favorite. If you can get your hands on it, I highly recommend giving it a try! xoxo


Products used for this base routine:
  • e.l.f Beautifully Bare 3-in-1 Primer
  • Maybelline FaceStudio Master Prime Blur + Smooth
  • Wet 'N Wild Photo Focus Foundation in Soft Ivory
  • Maybelline FaceStudio Master Conceal in 20 Light
  • Coty Airspun Powder in Naturally Neutral
  • Beauty Blender

No comments:

Post a Comment