Friday, May 19, 2017

Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir Foundation~ Flawless Face Friday

This spring seems to have been the season for many new beauty launches, whether it be high end, or drugstore. Every time I go shopping, I find something new and interesting to try, and that is how I stumbled upon the Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir Foundation. It was hiding way back in the corner of my local CVS, and if I hadn't been in that area for something else, I would have completely missed it! 


I've been trying this foundation out for about 3 weeks now, so that I could develop a full opinion before sharing it with all of you. During that time I tried this with, and without powder and primer, as well as without concealer or setting spray. I did this to see how the product would work best.

The Vitalist Healthy Elixir retails for $11.99 on Ulta's website. I payed $12.99 at CVS. It claims to have buildable coverage with a luminous glow, minimize the appearance of oil and shine, and be hydrating. It is also supposed to be lightweight, and is made with a vitamin infused formula. I also have to note just how much I love that it has a pump top. There is nothing worse than just a jar mouth on a foundation bottle!

(Before foundation)

As you can see I have a lot of redness from acne, and acne scaring to cover up, so I had high hopes with it being buildable. I do have to say, it took me a while to figure out exactly how I like to use this foundation. The first problem I ran into immediately is the shade. It is only available in 6 shades in the US, and I picked up 710 Classic Ivory.

Unfortunately, the CG Vitalist Healthy Elixir alone is about a shade too dark for my skin, and goes about two shades darker than that when it oxidizes. I tried mixing it with a few different foundations to lighten it, and discovered that it works perfectly with Hard Candy's Pigment Makeup Drops in the shade 2 Fair. I found that they were the only thing that altered the color without changing the finish, or feel of the foundation. 
The texture of this is great. It's very much a traditional liquid foundation consistency. However, I found that both with and without my mix in drops, this foundation is velvety and extremely lightweight. I barely feel it while wearing it! As far as being luminous, I don't get much of that. It is a very natural, satin finish, but not luminous. 
(After Foundation)

Now as far as coverage goes, I would say it is a solid medium coverage that is buildable. I always take into consideration just how much pigmentation I have on my skin, and I'm pretty happy with how this looks. The best way I have found to wear the Vitalist Healthy Elixir is with a primer* underneath, a concealer* (for the under eyes and spots), a setting powder*, and setting spray*. I have combination skin, and this foundation just isn't full coverage or long wearing enough for me to wear it alone. 

As far as longevity goes, it does pretty well when I use it with other products. It will last about 8-10 hours when sandwiched with other products, but only about 4 hours when worn alone. It definitely did not keep my shine at bay like it claims to do. Because of this, I feel like if you have oily skin, you either won't like it, or will definitely need to set it. As far as its claim to being hydrating, I didn't really notice anything major with it. It just seemed like a normal foundation in that regard.
(Full Face)

The one thing I will warn you about is the intense smell it has. When you first pump it out of the bottle, it smells like a very strong, very floral perfume. That scent does, however, dissipate when you use the product.

Overall, I really enjoy the Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir Foundation (what a mouthful!). It has the perfect texture for me, lasts pretty well with my other face products, and doesn't break me out. I recommend you give it a try if you are curious about it!

If you have any face products you would like to see me review, let me know in the comments below!

*=Products listed below

*Maybelline Master Prime Blur and Smooth
*Maybeline Master Concealer in 20 Light
*Coty Airspun Powder in070-11 Naturally Neutral
*Maybelline Mater Fix Wear Boosting Setting Spray





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I haven't bought it yet, as I just found out about it. But I plan on getting some to join the dozen bottles of foundation that I already have. LOL But I just have to pick this one up. I don't feel overly bad because I tend to stick with mostly drugstore brands. But when I do pick up the few things I do at dollar tree, I admire the pretty eyeshadows and cheap makeup. But I know it's horrible quality. But unless it's a known brand, I don't buy makeup there. Oooooh other than lipstick, now that is one product I have gotten that I liked and found to be decent quality. Some of my favorite lipsticks actually came from the dollar tree. But they last a long time before fading.


    But I also have issues with foundation being to dark, and that's with the lightest shade offered. But I ordered a bottle (two bottles actually so my 13 year old daughter has her own because we are both very pale) Manic Panic white foundation on amazon. It was like 9.99 with prime shipping but I know many other places carry it. I happen to live in the boondocks. No wait, the boondocks of the boondocks so we use amazon prime a lot for the free two day shipping. But I find this works out perfectly and then when I need it to be a bit more dense, I use the HC drops as well. So I just wanted to mention the manic panic white foundation in case you hadn't heard or use it. But I absolutely love it because I am so pale and it lightens anything that is just a tad to dark.

    Have a great week !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Amla Health Benefits

    ReplyDelete